Man In The Middle Attack - SSL Hacking
One of the most successful way of gaining information such as passwords,user ids etc in LAN (local area network) is through man in the middle attacks . I will not be going to deep into Man in the middle attacks, but in simple words it can be explained as attacker or a hacker listening to all the information sent in between the client and the server .To prevent these kind of attacks Email providers started using Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) It is a combination of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol(HTTP) with SSL (Secure socket layer )protocol to provide encrypted communication between the client and the server .So when a hacker caries out a Mimt attack the victim is cautioned with a invalid SSL Certificate.In this tutorial I will teach how to carry out a successful Mitm attack.
We Know that HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol )simply sends all the information through plain text .So if we make the victim use HTTP instead of HTTPS to connect sites like Gmail , Pay pal. we will be able to carry out a successful Mitm attack with out causing any suspicion To do this we are going to use a tool called SSL strip
Read More: What is SSL(Secure Socket Layer)
Thing we Need
1. SSL strip: You can search Google for SSL strip it comes both in windows and Linux versions . I will be using the windows version in this tutorial
2. Ettercap to carry out mitm attacks
1. Open SSL strip and fill in all the required information for arpsoof, network ,ssl strip, change data .If you don’t know what to enter simply click auto check . remember to check if HTTPS to HTTP is included in Change data , finally click ok:
2. Now select the victim’s IP and click open:
3. Now open ettercap go to
1. whenever you perform an online transaction such as Credit card payment, Bank login or Email login always ensure that you Use HTTPS .
2. Always check the SSL certificate before doing an online transaction.