Beware Facebook Viral Scam

DAD CATCHES DAUGHTERS ON WEBCAM
FB Scam



As Facebook is one of the most widely used social networking website around, It is being hit by lots of viral scams, Today I just came across one of those viral scams when one of my friend on facebook shared a link on his wall, "[VIDEO] DAD CATCHES DAUGHTERS ON WEBCAM [OMGGGG].AVI", The title of the link looked suspicious to me so i thought to figure out exactly what was going around.



[VIDEO] DAD CATCHES DAUGHTERS ON WEBCAM [OMGGGG].AVI[LINK]two naughty girls get caught in the WORST moment while making a vid on their webcam! omg!!


When I clicked on it, I was redirected to a page where I was asked to click a button to play the video, The moment I saw it I noticed that it was a flash file and was not a real video.



This was just to fool the users and making them download the adobe flash plugin in order to play the video, Once I clicked on the button "Download Codec", A file named Freecodec.exestarted to download, which made me think if it's a keylogger or a trojan but the file happened to be clean according to the "No virus thanks 32 Scanner".

Ultimately I was redirected to a webpage which was promoting a tool called Profile Stylez and the Freecodec.exe was the installation file for the Profile Stylez tool.






After viewing the source code of the page I found the following line of code which was responsible for spreading the link to your facebook wall, Any one with the basic knowledge of Html and IFrame would certainly know what this code is exactly doing, Here we actually discover a vulnerability in like.php code which abuses users trust for viral spreading of the links.

<iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=www.blackinfopages.com%2Fi?4dcef0f134a10&amp;send=true&amp;layout=standard&amp;width=450&amp;show_faces=true&amp;action=like&amp;colorscheme=light&amp;font&amp;height=80" style="border: none; height: 80px; overflow: hidden; width: 450px;"></iframe>
Lastly I scanned the file Freecodec.exe on http://www.virustotal.com as I was a bit unsatisfied Novirusthanks due to my experience in past and guess what Symantec antivirus and VBA32 recognized it as a TrojanDropper.



Master Plan

So according to me the master plan was actually promote the tool and at the same time install malware in to victims computer and control their computers at the same time.

Security Measures

  • Avoid clicking on those posts titles which have words such as "OMG, WOW, DAMN" they are most likely to do the same thing
  • Always install any kind of Plugins and codecs from the official website, You might be installing malware along with the plugin.
  • Always scan a file with an online virus scanner such as virustotal before running it on your own computer.
Hope you have liked my post and I hope in you won't fall for these scams in your near future.


-      ¤®äå¤


Comments

Popular Posts